Patients contemplating a facelift often want to know how long their results will last and what they can do to maintain their results. The good… Continue Reading
Facelift & Neck Lift
A facelift should help you look like a younger version of yourself. The board-certified plastic surgeons at United Plastic Surgery, Dr. John Larson and Dr. Phuong Pham, are trained in today’s advanced techniques that help you look refreshed and rested, yet natural. With facelift and neck lift surgery in Newport Beach and Temecula, we help women and men look years younger and feel more confident in their appearance.
What is a facelift?
A facelift is a facial plastic surgery procedure that rejuvenates the lower two-thirds of the face. Our plastic surgeons perform this procedure to help people look younger with a variety of improvements, including:
- Tightening a lax jawline (jowls)
- Lifting sagging cheeks
- Smoothing out smile lines (nasolabial folds) and wrinkles on the cheeks
- Correcting vertical neck banding and crepey neck skin (neck lift)
While Dr. Larson and Dr. Pham often combine facelift and neck lift procedures for optimal rejuvenation, they only perform what you need. In some cases, patients need only one or the other.
Are there alternatives to facelift surgery?
We offer people with early signs of facial aging or those who aren’t ready for surgery less invasive options, including the following:
- A liquid facelift combines BOTOX® Cosmetic and dermal fillers to relax wrinkles around the eyes and on the forehead, fill hollows under the eyes and at the temples, and restore volume to the cheeks.
- PDO threads lift sagging skin and tissues using specialized dissolvable threads (sutures) that are inserted under the skin.
Results from nonsurgical procedures are temporary and not as significant as results from facelift and neck lift surgery.
Meet Our Plastic Surgeons
Dr. Larson and Dr. Pham are experienced, highly trained board-certified plastic surgeons united in their dedication to superior patient care and surgical outcomes. They are committed to each patient from the initial consult to surgery to a personal phone call after surgery and beyond.
John V. Larson, M.D.
Board-Certified PLASTIC SURGEON
Phuong M. Pham, M.D.
Board-Certified PLASTIC SURGEON
What is the best facelift technique?
In the past, facelifts pulled and repositioned the skin only, often in a lateral direction, which is why the results could look unnatural. Today, facelifts involve adjusting the underlying fascia called the SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) as well as the skin. Our plastic surgeons offer an individualized approach to facial rejuvenation with face and neck lifts. Because every patient has unique goals and characteristics, our surgeons perform facelift surgery using a variety of techniques, including one or more of the following:
- SMASectomy removes a section of SMAS to smooth nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
- SMAS plication tightens facial tissues and restores volume.
- Platysma plication repairs prominent, separated vertical neck muscles (platysma muscles)
They also enhance facelift results with a variety of adjuvant treatments such as:
- Facial fat transfer
- Chin liposuction
- Buccal fat pad removal
- BOTOX® Cosmetic
- Dermal fillers
- PDO threads
Can a facelift be combined with other procedures?
Yes, because facelift/neck lift surgery rejuvenates the lower face and neck, our plastic surgeons combine them with other facial plastic surgery procedures to provide more extensive facial rejuvenation. Popular options include:
During your one-on-one consultation, Dr. Larson or Dr. Pham will evaluate your concerns, talk with you about the changes you’d like to make, and create a personalized facial rejuvenation plan. You will never be rushed—your surgeon will reserve plenty of time to answer your questions and discuss your concerns.
How is facelift and neck lift surgery performed?
Our surgeons typically perform facelift and neck lift surgery as an outpatient procedure in our private surgery center using a general anesthetic. They inject local anesthetic during the surgery to minimize discomfort afterward.
The surgeon places incisions in the hairline at the temples and in natural creases in front of and around the back of the ears (depending on the extent of correction needed). When repairing neck muscles, he also places a tiny incision under the chin. Through the incisions, the surgeon repositions and firms the underlying tissues, then redrapes the overlying skin and removes the excess.
What is the fastest way to recover from a facelift?
Your surgeon will give you specific instructions to follow after surgery. Here are some tips for optimal recovery:
- Apply ice packs as directed to minimize swelling and bruising.
- Keep your head elevated at all times, including while sleeping.
- Wear your facial compression garment as directed.
While experiences depend on the specifics of the surgery and individual healing rates, patients typically reach recovery milestones along the following timeline:
- Sutures removed: 5 to 7 days (in front of ears); 2 weeks (behind ears, scalp)
- Bruising fades: 2 to 3 weeks
- Swelling dissipates: 6 to 8 weeks
- Return to work and nonstrenuous activities: 7 days (mini facelift); 2 to 3 weeks (full facelift)
- Resume strenuous activities: 4 weeks
- Use a hair dryer & have your hair colored: 6 weeks
- Final results: 3 to 6 months